Saturday, November 19, 2011

Looking for suggestions for a flower garden in Minnesota?

I want to put a flower garden in the yard in front of my house, but I'm not sure what I would be able to use. Since that side of the house faces the west, it doesn't get sunlight until the afternoon. I've looked around at a few different green houses to get some ideas, but all I find is plants that require full sun. I would like to get flowers or small shrubs or maybe even some climbing flowers. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Looking for suggestions for a flower garden in Minnesota?
Look for part sun plants or shade plants. Perennials - Black eyed susans, echinacea, daylilies and poppies come to mind - they are all pretty easy to grow in various conditions as long as they get some sun. Hostas are also an option, and shrubs - look for weigelia and spirea - also very easy to grow. Azalea is an option, too. Climbing flowers - or vining flowers - morning glories, an annual, are easy, and my favorite is nasturtiums - they aren't really a climbing flower, they are more of a cascading flower. Also an annual.





All of these plants do very well in various locations in my yard, and I live in upstate NY - zone 5. Ensure that you boost your soil before planting - add some compost (you can purchase bags) and I like to add a bag of top soil. Mix it all up good, and you should be in good shape.





Please accept my apologies if I spelled some of the plants wrong. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment