Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I start a flower garden?

I live in NC and I'd like to start a small flower garden in front of my home. It's in an area that gets sunlight periodically during the day. I believe there used to be flowers there because there's a decorative brick border around the area but it's overrun with weeds and there are no flowers there now. The soil is pretty good I'd say...not too dry or hard. How do I start a flower garden? I'm interested in some periennials and some annuals...can those be grown together?

How do I start a flower garden?
Yes you can mix periennials with annuals, they are all the same, just one needs to be replanted each year, the other comes up on its own.





First pull all the weeds and dig and turn up dirt. Thus loosening it and breaking up any clumps. Depending on how far down the brick goes you might want to get some edgeing that will help stop grass from coming into your flower bed, from under the brick. YOu can now add some peat moss, this helps to hold moisture in the soil, and work it in to your top soil or existing soil. Now figure out what kind of plants and plant. You already have singled out the ones that take full shade so look at plants that do well with lots of sun. Now you might want tall in the back and shorter in the front, or maybe all one similar height. Thinking of these things will make it much easier. YOu also will have a lot of sudden inspirtation when looking at plants in the nursery. Good luck and i Hope this helped!
Reply:Depending on how run over by weeds u my want to use some weed killer first. Then pull out all the leftover stuff including the roots. Turn the soil over if it is a large area rent a tiller to make it easier. Work some compost in. Plant to your hearts content just be sure that when buying plants check for light requirements and how big they will get. I usually put perennials in the back of the border so if I put in annuals I'm not disturbing them. Then u can put some mulch all over the bed to help retain moisture, use bark if putting in annuals it is easier to pull back when planting new next year and will break down to enrich the soil over time.


No comments:

Post a Comment